Friday 9 September 2011

"POLITE CONVERSATION IS RARELY EITHER"



Bonsoir, bonsoir.

Me, 21.


I am beginning a blog that is inspired by the following things:

1) My age. As of last month I am twenty-one years old and the title has come with a lot more than a legal ability to exercise the old wig collection in the gay clubs of Manhattan. Here and now, I question everything; okay, that’s not news because I have always questioned everything. The difference, however, is that I am now interested in drawing conclusions-- that is, I am trying to do what I will often refer to as ‘developing my sense of morality.‘ You know, trying to decide what I think is right and what I think is wrong, setting all conventional wisdom aside, of course.  


2) Fran Lebowitz. For those of you who have not heard of this individual look her up immediately. She is brilliant and believe me when I say I do not describe many people as brilliant. Here is an example: Ever since the age of thirteen I have kissed Madonna’s picture goodnight religiously but I will never describe Madge as brilliant. She is great, no doubt. Great, but not brilliant. Fran, on the other hand, has become godlike in my mind (hence the name of the blog) and that is solely because of who she is as a thinker. Observant, bold, self-assured and most of all, direct in expressing that which she sincerely believes. I wish she was my grandmother so I could go to her in times that I, myself am not so sure. I would just go over to her place in New York, it would probably be just down the street from me. We would start chatting and she would light up a smoke. “Kristy, dear, as you know I smoke two packs a day and this old girl can’t be around much longer. Rather than leaving you a mere manuscript to my first collection of essays, I am going to teach you everything I know so you may carry my knowledge-” okay I am getting off track here. The point is, I cannot do that, unfortunately. I cannot just go and visit Fran whenever I want, or ever, most likely, so I am left to develop my own base of knowledge and build what judge judy describes as ‘moral decency’ upon that. 

3) My new partnership with you. Yes, that is right, you and me are now in on this together. I have learned that valid thought is the product of an open mind. I want to hear what you have to say about everything. I want this blog to be interactive, to serve as a forum for outspokenness. Speaking to this, I want it to be a chance for everyone to get their opinion in. As an aside, please do not ever refer to your own thoughts, or mine, as ‘two cents.‘ To me, everyone has ideas that are worth much more than that. Everyone counts here and you are a part of furthering others, here and in the world beyond, as thinkers; for providing your unique perspective and in the process, changing minds. Knowledge and wisdom come in various forms and the value of these possessions does not rise with age. You have something to say now and I want to hear it.

4) A lack of a better idea.

So here is how it’s going to work; every week I will post a ‘moral development’ (that is, a concise and much-shorter-than-what-you-are-reading-now-and-if-you've-made-it-this-far-i-commend-you-version of my thoughts on a given topic). After you read it, comment what you think. I want to know how you see it, what makes you think the way you do and from there we can build meaning and valid communication together.

In the words of Joan Rivers (another grandmother I wish to have but sadly do not)...

Can we talk?

2 comments: